Welcome to School 2018-2019
Welcome to the new school year 2018-2019. My name is Sister Junnah, and I will be the 4th grade reading, writing and geography teacher. InshaAllah, you had a restful summer vacation and a joyful Eid. Now, it is time for work, so we all have to roll up our sleeves and start working hard. I’m excited about the opportunity to get to know you, and I’m looking forward to a happy and productive school year.
Technology: We will be using some social media apps and sites to make the learning process more flexible and easily accessed in school and at home.
- Students will create an account in www.edmodo.com where they will be working on their assignments and receiving updates.
- Remind is an application that is used to communicate via texting. You will be receiving announcements and reminders through this app, please provide your child with a cell phone number, so I can add you.
- Pearsonrealized.com is a site that you need to to check frequently for test results and reviews for tests. The reading textbook is something you can find there as well. Some assignments will be posted and checked through the site, so please get yourself familiar with it. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me via Remind.
- Readworks.org: Articles and questions will be assigned on this site for classwork and homework.
- I-Ready Is a software that was used last year and inshaAllah we are using it this year, too. Student's diagnostic test will determine their strengths and needs which will assist us to work with them in school. At home, students will continue their work which will replace regular homework.
Newsletters: A monthly newsletter will be posted to update you on what will be done in class and school. Please, make sure you check it out frequently.
Supplies: For Reading and Writing, your child will needs 3 marble notebooks.
- Reading Notebook: to take notes in class and take home to study. This notebook will tell you what was the reading lesson for that day.
- Writing Notebook: to take notes in class and take home to study. This notebook will tell you what was the writing lesson for that day.
- Reading Log/ Book of Knowledge: R.L. is a record of your child's daily readings. There should be one page a day where it shows what s/he read. The format of the R.L. will be thoroughly explained in class.
** The date should be written clearly on the top of the page of each lesson.